I've been on a mission to come up with an allergy-friendly cracker recipe. It took a bit of trial and error, but I've finally come up with a recipe I'm happy with.
These beauties are gluten-free (in fact entirely grain-free), dairy-free, egg-free and nut-free.
They are also quick to make, hold together well and taste great.
The main ingredients are chia seeds, sesame seeds and flaxseeds, so these crackers do have a "seed" taste to them. I like that about them, but it might be an acquired taste for people who are used to wheat-based crackers.
I'd like to make warm mention of The Coconut Oil Shop, who provided me with coconut oil for this recipe.
- 2T freshly ground chia seeds (I grind seeds with my hand-blender in a tall-sided container so they don't fly everywhere)
- 6T water
- 3/4c ground golden flaxseed
- 1/4c sesame seeds
- 1/2c tahini
- 2T nutritional yeast
- 1T coconut oil
- 1t dried oregano
- 1/2t onion powder
- 1/2t sea salt
- grinds of black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F.
- Mix ground chia seeds (measure after grinding) and water together in a cup and place in the fridge to gloop up. This mixture will be your egg replacement, used for binding the crackers together.
- Mix all the other ingredients together and then stir through the chia egg replacer.
- Combine the ingredients well with a wooden spoon to form dough.
- Place dough on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Place another sheet of baking paper over the top and roll out the dough flat, almost to the edge of the baking tray. This should form a slab about 1-1.5 mm thick.
- Remove top piece of paper and, using a butter knife, tap in the edges of the slab to straighten them up and thicken them slightly so they don't crisp up too fast. (The edges will cook slightly faster than the centre.)
- Score dough slab into medium-sized squares, or any shape and size you would like your crackers to be.
- Bake at 180°C / 350°F for 15-20 minutes. They will crisp up more as they cool.
- Transfer crackers to an airtight container, where they will keep well for up to two weeks.
Serve with your favourite toppings; Mine are avocado and tomato.
What are your favourite cracker toppings?
~ Browse more Craving Fresh recipes here ~