|Courgette, Coconut and Chocolate Slice.|
I found this recipe for Courgette, Coconut and Chocolate Slice in a New Zealand House and Garden Magazine at a friend's bach last week and it caught my eye because I had a huge courgette marrow sitting in my fridge that needed to be used.
I perused the recipe and was pleasantly surprised to see I had all the other ingredients it called for. Surprised because we're living in a bach at the moment so I don't have access to my full pantry. The picture of the recipe itself didn't look too enticing, but I thought it would be worth a shot.
Gosh golly I'm glad I gave it a go.
The slice is absolutely delicious and has such beautiful textures - a combination of chewy, crunchy and melt-in-your-mouth caramel. Divine.
Of course, it's not healthy. All the sugar and chocolate make sure of that. But sometimes delicious things deserve to be made and enjoyed just because they're delicious.
- 110g butter, room temperature
- 3/4c sugar
- 1 1/2c plain all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F.
- Cream 110g butter and 3/4c sugar
- Add 1 1/2c flour and mix to a dough
- Transfer dough to a lined 20cm x 30cm baking pan and press in to cover the base.
- Bake 10-15 minutes, until golden.
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2c grated courgette squeezed through a tea towel (about one large courgette or half a marrow)
- 2c brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 1/2c coconut thread
- 70g slivered almonds
- 1/2c chocolate chips or chunks (I chopped up a few rows of Whittakers Milk Madagasar chocolate and used that)
- 1 1/2t vanilla extract
- 3T plain all-purpose flour
- 1t baking powder
- Pinch salt
- Beat 3 eggs then stir in 1 1/2c (grated and squeezed) courgette, 2c brown sugar, 1 1/2c coconut thread, 70g slivered almonds, 1/2c chocolate chips and 1 1/2t vanilla.
- Mix together 3T flour, 1t baking powder and a pinch of salt.
- Add dry ingredients to courgette mixture and stir to combine.
- Spread mixture over cooked base and bake a further 20-30 minutes at 180°C / 350°F, until golden.
- Cool completely before cutting.
Makes 20 pieces.