This grain-free, sugar-free banana pikelets recipe is one I've modified from Modern Alternative Mama's ebook, Against the Grain. This is one recipe ebook I find myself returning to again and again. The recipes are just so yummy!
I've made these pikelets a couple of times now, and the second time I modified them to the recipe you'll find below, which includes more coconut than the recipe in Against the Grain.
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 1/2c coconut flour or finely shredded dessicated coconut (if using coconut flour, start with 1/4c and keep mixing in more until you get a dropping consistency)
- 1/8t sea salt
- 2-3T butter
- Thoroughly combine ingredients in a bowl
- Melt 1T of the butter in a large, heavy-bottomed frying pan on a medium heat.
- Drop spoonfuls of batter on the frying pan, leaving enough space between each spoonful to be able to flip the pikelets.
- Cook the pikelets on one side until bubbles start to appear and they hold together when lifted up with a fish slice, about 3-4 minutes.
- Flip pikelets and cook until golden on the other side, about 2-3 minutes.
- Melt another tablespoon of butter in the saucepan and cook the next batch of pikelets, following instructions 3-5. Repeat if necessary to use up all the batter.
Makes about 20 pikelets.
Serve with homemade, unsweetened yoghurt, fresh berries (or frozen blueberries work well) and a sprinkle of cinnamon for a decadently healthy breakfast.
Thanks again to Kate Tietje of Modern Alternative Mama for giving me a copy of Against the Grain to review, and for giving away her e-book bundle to one Craving Fresh follower a couple of weeks back.
Linked to Patchwork Living Blogging Bee.