My husband is not a big fan of chicken, but he does enjoy this sesame baked chicken drumstick recipe. The crispy drums remind him of a good KFC meal, without the accompanying gastric hangover.
- 6-8 chicken drumsticks, preferably free range/organic
- 40g butter
- 1/4c sesame seeds
- 1/2c plain flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2t chicken stock powder
- 1 egg
- 1T water
1. Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F and melt the butter in an oven dish that's large enough to fit your chicken drumsticks.
2. Combine sesame seeds, flour, salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon of the chicken stock powder and roll the chicken drumsticks in this mixture.
3. Whisk together the egg, water and other teaspoon of chicken stock powder and roll the floured chicken drumsticks in this liquid mixture.
4. Re-roll the eggy chicken drumsticks in the sesame/flour mixture.
5. Lay the coated chicken drumsticks out in your pre-heated oven dish and baste with the melted butter.
6. Bake at 180°C / 350°F for one hour (or until cooked through), basting again every 20 minutes or so. There's no need to turn the drumsticks if you keep basting them.
I enjoy this meal served with mash potatoes or fries, and a side salad.
Linked to What's Cooking Wednesdays.