When I have the energy, I like to use cloth diapers on Lily. But I've noticed that over time they've gotten more and more smelly, even after washing.
I use a battery of techniques to try and combat this. None of them get the nappies smelling totally new again, but they do help.
My nappy freshening tips and tricks
- Wash on high, even though it's just a half load, and set it to the longest wash cycle on a warm setting.
- Add 1/2c white vinegar to the fabric softener dispenser every wash.
- Dry nappies in full sunshine on the washing line for one to two days.
- Every now and then soak nappies in a bucket of warm water mixed with Ecostore Laundry Soaker & Stain Remover overnight.
- Every now and then run the nappies through washing machine twice - first on the warm wash described above, and then on a hot wash with 1/2c white vinegar added to the fabric softener dispenser and 1/2c baking soda added to the washing powder dispenser. The combination of hot water, vinegar and baking soda helps to break down any washing powder that has built up in the diapers.
I think the step that makes the most difference is adding white vinegar to the fabric softener dispenser. So if I could only do one thing besides a regular wash, that would be it.
What are your tips for getting cloth diapers smelling fresh again?