The New Year is upon us and I find myself wanting to eat healthier after over-indulging during the Christmas period.
This morning I've been perusing favourite websites and recipe books, getting inspired and menu planning for the coming week.
I really should have done it yesterday, before the big grocery shop that restocked our cupboards after the holidays.
But I didn't.
So now I'm making do and getting creative with what I have, which is actually quite fun.
I was checking out this lovely looking soup recipe by Andie Mitchell and wanted to make it, but realised I don't have chickpeas in the house. I do, however, have frozen chana dal in the freezer, so I pulled that out and made this delicious crispy chana dal.
- 2c cooked chana dal* (or tinned chickpeas)
- 2T olive oil
- 2t ground cumin
- 2t dried oregano
- 1t smoked paprika
- 2t ground dried onion
- sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 200°C / 400°F.
- Drain chana dal (or tinned chickpeas) and pat dry with a paper towel.
- In a bowl mix chana dal with 2T olive oil, 2t ground cumin, 2t dried oregano, 1t ground smoked paprika, 2t ground dried onion and sea salt to taste.
- Spread in a single layer on an oven tray and bake at 200°C / 400°F for around 30 minutes or until crispy but not burnt. Stir and flip once during cooking.
Allow to dry and store in an airtight container. Use as a garnish on soups and salads.
I'm off to eat my delicious soup topped with crispy chana dal.
* How to cook dry chana dal
Sort and rinse before cooking. Add 2-1/2 cups of water for every 1 cup of Chana Dal Beans. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 25-35 minutes.