Here's a dinner recipe I've been enjoying lately. It is quick and easy to throw together, and imbued with the beautiful Mexican flavours I love so well.
- 1T olive oil, butter or ghee
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 x 395g jar enchilada sauce
- 1/2c water
- 2 free range chicken breasts
- 1.5c cooked cannellini beans (I make my own using this process)
- 1/2c cottage cheese
- 6 large tortillas (make your own healthy ones with this recipe)
- 1/4c Parmesan cheese, finely grated
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Saute diced red onion in oil in a frying pan on medium heat until softened.
3. Add 1/2c water and 2/3 of the enchilada sauce to the frying pan and stir with the onion to combine.
4. Place chicken breasts in the enchilada liquid, turn heat to a medium high and cover pan with a lid to poach for 10 minutes.
5. While chicken breasts are cooking, blend cannellini beans and cottage cheese together in a bowl with a hand blender until smooth. Set aside.
6. Uncover chicken breasts and turn over in the sauce, cooking uncovered for a further 5 minutes or until liquid is reduced to a thick sauce and chicken breasts are cooked through. (Add more water if it looks like the mixture is drying out before the breasts are cooked.)
7. Remove cooked chicken breasts from heat and shred with two forks.
8. Mix shredded poached chicken in its sauce with the cannellini bean and cottage cheese mixture.
9. Spread 1/6 of this mixture in a line along the centre of a tortilla.
9. Roll tortilla up and place at the end of a 20x30cm rectangular oven proof dish. Continue this process with the rest of the chicken mixture and tortillas, until oven dish contains six filled tortilla wraps.
10. Pour the remaining 1/3 enchilada sauce in a line down the centre of the 6 tortilla wraps and sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese over the top.
11. Place in oven and bake at 180°C for 25 minutes, or until the tortillas are golden brown.
Serves 6. Enjoy with a crispy green coriander and lime salad.
~ Find more Craving Fresh recipes here ~