We brought a lot of feijoas back from Te Puke with us after our Easter break but what remained was getting to the end of its freshness so I whizzed it all up and made this flu-fighting jelly for snacks and lunchbox treats.
L can't get enough of these.
- Bowl-full of feijoas
- 1T manuka honey
- 1 lemon
- 3t clear, unflavoured gelatine
- Boiling water to dissolve gelatine
1. Peel feijoas and discard any bruised bits.
2. Squeeze lemon juice over the peeled feijoas to prevent browning and add more vitamin C to the mix.
Tip: Zest the lemon first and freeze zest in a dedicated container in the freezer so you've got it for recipes that only call for lemon zest.
3. Spoon a dollop of manuka honey into the bowl of feijoas for its unique infection-fighting properties and to add sweetness to the jelly.
4. Whizz the feijoas, lemon juice and honey together with a hand blender until completely smooth. You'll be surprised at how much liquid comes out of the solid-looking feijoas.
5. Mix gelatine with enough boiling water to dissolve and then stir through feijoa mixture.